Whole Wheat Apple Butter Pancakes
September 25, 2014
I work at The Amish Cupboard – a bulk food store that sells so many wonderful things – including apple butter. I told my boss that I wanted to create a recipe to help promote apple butter sales, since it’s fall. This is what I came up with:
Makes 12 standard size pancakes
1 ¾ cup whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon apple pie spice
¼ teaspoon salt
1 farm fresh egg
1 cup buttermilk
½ cup apple butter*
3 tablespoons cooking oil
1. In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients together.
2. In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients together.
3. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix just until moistened.
4. Pour ¼ cup batter onto a hot, lightly greased skillet and cook 1 – 2 minutes on either side or until pancakes are golden brown.
5. Top with more of apple butter, pecan pieces, and pure maple syrup. Pair with a glass of cold whole milk.