Even though I grew up in a very large family, I don’t remember eating cereal for breakfast. My wonderful mother would get up early and whip up these bran muffins. They were delicious. And because we each had quite a sweet tooth, we would usually fill them with chocolate chips. Pretty wicked, but quite delightful. This recipe is slightly modified from the one my mother used all those years, but still makes for one heck of a breakfast!
Makes 24 muffins
1 1/2 cups wheat bran flakes
2 1/2 whole wheat flour
5 Tbs buttermilk powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
3 cups water
1. Mix all dry ingredients together.
2. Mix wet ingredients together.
3. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and wisk together until smooth.
4. Fill muffin tins 3/4 of the way full. Cook on 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
5. Cool only slightly, and remove from pan.
6. Cut muffins are wonderful filled with honey butter, chocolate chips (let them melt – Yum!), or my new favorite – Nutella!