taken from http://www.chef-in-training.com/2011/12/homemade-bread-bowls/
- 2½ cups warm water
- 1 Tbsp. yeast
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup oil
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 6-7 cups white all purpose flour
- Combine warm water, yeast and sugar and let sit for 10 minutes or until yeast is bubbly.
- Add oil, salt, and 1½ cups of flour to the yeast mixture. Mix on low speed (if in a bread mixer).
- Begin adding the rest of the flour 1 cup at a time until 5 cups total. Mix on high speed and continue to add the flour ½ cup at a time until the dough begins to clean the sides of the bowl and pulls away toward the middle. Do not add more than 7 cups of flour. Knead for 6 minutes.
- Divide dough into 6 pieces. Make round balls. Place on large cookie sheet and let rise until doubled in size.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-30 minutes.
- Rub tops of bread bowls with butter.
- Let Cool.
- Cut top out and dig out bread, leaving a hollowed out bread bowl.
- Fill with your favorite cream soup or chowder.
- We usually put the bread from the center on the plate beside the bowl and dip it into the soup. You can also eat the bowl when you are all done! YUM!