I love waffles. Love love love. My husband’s parents bought us this awesome double-sided belgian waffle maker for Christmas one year (it’s super cool!) and I use it probably weekly. I am always on the lookout for new waffle recipes, and when I made this one recently, my husband told me I had “perfected the waffle.” What a compliment! So I haven’t turned back since. This is the one.
Perfect Belgian Waffles
Makes 6 waffles
2 cups white wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups buttermilk
1. Turn on your waffle maker to get it all warmed up.
2. Mix the dry ingredients together (the first 3 ingredients) and set aside.
3. Mix butter and sugar until smooth, then add the other ingredients. Mix until well incorporated.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix together thoroughly.
5. Pour roughly 2/3 cup (depending on your waffle maker) onto the hot iron and close the lid. Mine, set on about a 4, takes about 2 minutes until the machine beeps at me, telling me it’s done. But what you’re going for is a nice golden crisp to it. It shouldn’t be gummy when you pull it off.
Love chocolate for breakfast? Try putting 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips into the batter. It tastes just like a chocolate chip cookie. No syrup required!