taken from http://therecipecritic.com/2014/01/red-velvet-sugar-cookie-bars-cream-cheese-frosting/
- 3⅓ cups flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons (one 1-ounce bottle) red food coloring
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 2 8 Oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Have a 9×13 inch pan ready. I like to line mine with aluminum foil and spray it with cooking spray so that the bars easily lift out and are easy to cut.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together 1 cup butter softened and sugar until light and creamy. About 2-3 minutes. Beat in the eggs, vanilla, and food coloring until combined.
- Add the flour mixture until a soft dough forms. Press into the bottom of the 9×13 inch pan. Bake for about 20 minutes until the edges start to pull away from the sides and a toothpick entered into the center comes out clean. Allow to completely cool before frosting.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, Beat together the cream cheese and butter. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat together until smooth. Frost the top of the bars and enjoy!