Poblano chiles are the most underutilized pepper in my opinion. I think most people are afraid that they might be spicy, but they don’t pack even as much kick as a jalapeno – especially if you roast them first. The sauce for these enchiladas come from our espagueti verde recipe and pairs absolutely beautifully with the innards of chicken, cheese, more poblanos, and some corn for sweetness. After having these, you will never go back to your “shredded chicken + 1 can of sauce + 1 mountain of cheese” enchiladas again.
3 roasted poblano peppers (+1 for filling)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon butter
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 roasted poblano pepper
1 cup corn (uncooked is fine)
1 cup shredded cheese (if I want it spicier – pepperjack, or creamier – oaxaca. Really any cheese will work)
salt and pepper to taste
8-10 small tortillas (8″)
extra cheese for topping
- After roasting the poblanos, remove the seeds and caps and roughly chop them.
- In a blender, add all sauce ingredients EXCEPT the heavy cream until well blended
- Add cream and mix until smooth (note: don’t just leave the blender on, however. The cream will start to thicken your mixture too much).
- Remove the seeds and cap from the poblano pepper and dice it
- Add corn, chicken, and cheese and mix until even
- Add salt and pepper to taste
Putting them together
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a 9×13 pan with aluminum foil
- Lay a tortilla flat and scoop a generous spoonful of the filling into the center. Spread the filling to form a line down the center of the tortilla. Roll the edges of the tortilla over itself and place it on the prepared pan, seam side down.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas until all (or almost all) of the filling has been used.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes to harden tortillas
- Remove from oven and cover the enchiladas with sauce. Sprinkle on cheese and any leftover filling
- Return enchiladas to oven and cook until the cheese is bubbling (about another 10 minutes)
- Let cool slightly before serving