If you have never eaten chicken pillows, you are seriously missing out. Super creamy, super easy. I happened to have all of the ingredients on hand the other day and thought I’d go ahead and make some, but then I remembered a mushroom sauce I had had at a cute French cafe here in Houston called La Madeleine. I figured if I merged both recipes together, I might just be on to something. My husband and toddler agreed!
1/2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup diced onions
1/4 cup fresh mushrooms, diced
1 heaping tablespoon canned green chiles (optional)
salt and pepper
8 refrigerated crescent rolls, uncooked
1/4 cup onion, diced
2 T butter
2 T flour
1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, diced
1/2 cup chicken broth
2/3 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup white cooking wine (or more chicken broth)
1/4 cup cooked chicken, diced
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
1/3 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp thyme
1/3 tsp red pepper flakes
salt and lots of pepper
- Put the butter and cream cheese in a pot and melt them together on low heat until smooth. Turn off the heat.
- Add everything else and mix until very well-incorporated.
- Open the can of crescent rolls and unroll onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Spoon a heaping tablespoon of the chicken mix onto each crescent roll (add more to each if there’s still mix. Use all of it).
- Fold the points of the crescent roll over each other to mostly envelope the mixture.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until the tops are browned.
For the sauce:
- Melt the butter in a pot and add the mushrooms. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add flour and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, wine, and cream and cook for 3-5 minutes until hot, but not bubbling.
- Add the seasonings and cheeses and cook until the cheeses melt.
- Adjust seasonings and serve.